Barbers Hill Independent School District is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability.
This website endeavors to comply with best practices and standards as defined by Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act and all levels (A/AA/AAA) of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities. Conformance with these guidelines helps to make the web more user-friendly for all people.
If you would like additional assistance or have accessibility concerns, please contact the webmaster.
All site pages are periodically run through a W3C compliant validation product, currently Dinolytics which is powered by the verification tool WAVE , to monitor compliancy to WCAG guidelines. The site is also manually reviewed semi-annually with assistive technology, including keyboard-only testing and screen reader testing (JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver).
We will continue to test the site to make sure that our content on the site is accessible to all visitors.
We will also continue to work to improve the accessibility standards of our website.
- Skip to content
- Alternate text descriptions for images
- Closed captioning for video content
- Limited use of text-based images and time-based media
- Logical tabbing sequence for keyboard-driven navigation
- Appropriate color contrast between text and background elements
- Screen reader warning for links that open in new window
- ARIA labeling to give more information to user interface
Known Accessibility Issues
Barbers Hill strives to identify and resolve compliance issues. The following are known issues that are consistently reviewed to reach the goal of compliance.
- HTML Validation: All HTML code on the site must be valid according to W3C standards. In part because we leverage code and features from third parties, and in part because we value accessibility and functionality above code validity, not all of the HTML code on our website is 100% valid.
- CSS Validation: All CSS code on the site must be valid according to W3C standards. In part because we leverage code and features from third parties, and in part because we value accessibility and presentation above code validity, not all of the CSS code on our website is 100% valid.
- PDF and Document Content: The first phase of our accessibility initiative was focused on user-facing web and video content, and it involved a total redesign of our website. The second phase of our initiative will focus on our downloadable content, such as PDFs and other documents.
- Third-party Content: Third-party documents, links and social media feeds may contain non-accessible content.
- Lynx: A free, text-based web browser.
- ChromeVox: A free screen reader for Chrome OS and the Google Chrome web browser.
- VoiceOver: Free screen-reading software built into Apple's macOS.
- NVDA: Free screen-reading software for Microsoft Windows.
- For more information about accessibility:
Browser Accessibility Information
Many popular browsers contain built-in accessibility tools.
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF documents that appear on this website.
Adobe Flash may be required to view certain videos that appear on this website.