The purpose of Credit by Exam (CBE) is acceleration (i.e. skipping a grade or course).
To accelerate an entire grade level, students must take exams in the four core subject areas (Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies) and score at least an 80% on all four exams.
For high school courses, each exam is worth one semester, or a half, credit. In order to receive one full credit for a course, two exams must be taken (part A and part B of the course) and the passing standard of 80% must be met on each semester exam.
- The student must currently be enrolled in Barbers Hill ISD and may not have been enrolled in the grade or have taken the course he/she is attempting to accelerate.
- A completed registration form must be turned in to the student’s home campus by the deadline. Registration forms turned in after the deadline will not be considered.
- There will be a refundable deposit of $25 per test (cash only) required at the time of registration.
- A school district representative must recommend that the student be accelerated.
- The parent/guardian must give written approval for the acceleration.
- Assessments from the Texas Tech University K-12 will be used.
- It is the student’s responsibility to bring any necessary materials to the testing site, or complete the required preparation prior to the test, as indicated on the Texas Tech University K-12's study guide website for each specific exam. https://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/cbe/review/
- A student may take a specific exam only once during each testing window.
- A student may not take an exam for a specific course or grade more than two times.
- Students may not retest in consecutive testing periods for the same grade/course.
- Scores below 80% will not be recorded on the student’s permanent record/transcript.
- Calculation of grade point average and class rank excludes semester grades earned through credit by exam for the purpose of acceleration.
- At the beginning of the school year in which the student would ordinarily be required to enroll in a course/grade level, if the student fails to meet the required passing standard, the student must be enrolled in the course/grade level.
- Placement in a new grade/course will be made only at the beginning of the school year regardless of when the credit by exam was administered.
- The district will not accept scores of testing completed outside the district’s scheduled testing window without prior approval from the campus principal and the Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction.
CBE Testing Information
- Tests will be administered only on the scheduled testing dates with two sessions (AM and PM) each day. Make-up tests will not be administered.
- The maximum time allowed for each exam is three hours, and a maximum of two tests per day may be taken.
- After the AM testing session has ended, the student will be returned to their parent/guardian.
- No lunch or supervision will be provided between testing sessions.
- Students must be picked up immediately upon completion of their final testing session of the day.
- Parents are not permitted in the testing room.
- Students who arrive late (up to thirty minutes) will be allowed to test, but must sign a waiver agreeing to a shortened time for testing.
- Students who arrive more than thirty minutes late for a test will not be allowed to take the test, and their test deposit(s) will not be refunded.
- Students who do not take the test on the assigned date for which they registered will not have their test deposit refunded to them.
- Barbers Hill ISD will only pay for the first testing attempt in each subject/grade. Any second testing attempts must be paid by the parent/guardian.
- Deposits will not be refunded if the student is a no-show, more than 30 minutes late, does not complete the test, or is repeating the test.
- Refunds will be made within three weeks after each testing session.