PLEASE NOTE: the Substitute application is not always available/open. If the "Substitute" listing is not showing in the list of open positions, please check back at a later time.
BHISD has four categories for substitute teachers and instructional aides:
- Certified Classroom Teacher: Persons must have a current, valid Texas certification (as verified through SBEC). Pay is $110.00/day
- Classroom Teacher Degreed: Persons holding a Bachelor's degree or higher. Associate's degrees do not qualify. Pay is $100.00/day
- Classroom Teacher Non-Degreed: Persons who have completed 60+ hours of college coursework. Pay is $95.00/day
- Instructional Aides: Persons must have at least a high school diploma/GED. Pay is $75.00/day
Substitutes are contacted on an as-needed basis; therefore, it is impossible for the District to guarantee definite assignments or any frequency of assignments. Substitutes must understand that they have agreed to make themselves available to serve the District based upon the need of their services.
Barbers Hill Independent School District maintains a current list of persons qualified to serve as substitute teachers and aides. Daily and long-term substitute needs are met through a web-based placement system called Frontline (formerly Aesop). Frontline uses skill-matching and preference lists to connect eligible substitutes to requests made by campuses. Substitutes can search for and accept assignments, plus receive automatic notification of open assignments, online or via telephone. While having access to a personal computer is desirable, it is not a necessity.
If you have any questions regarding Frontline (formerly Aesop), please contact the Substitute Office at 281-576-2221 ext. 1302, or email@example.com.
The following items are required to be completed, filed and processed by the Human Resources Department, BHISD, POB 1108, Mont Belvieu, TX 77580, before any substitute will be able to accept assignments:
- Completed Online Application
- Criminal History Check
- University or College Transcript (highest level), showing hours of credit or degree awarded. If no degree, High School Diploma or GED
- Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate (Form W-4)
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)
- Valid Driver's License and Social Security Card must be presented for copying by BHISD staff (Social Security Card must show current legal name)
- Substitute Training Session Attendance
- Fingerprinting (through a Texas Education Agency approved vendor)
The Application and Criminal History Check must be completed and processed by the Personnel Department prior to being approved to attend an orientation.
All substitutes must submit an online application at:
Please make certain to choose the "Substitute" application. If possible, attach transcripts and any certifications held. You will receive a confirmation email when your application has been received. Once an application is received, based on qualifications and need review, further notification via email will be sent regarding the next step in the qualification process.
On September 1, 2016, Barbers Hill Independent School District implemented a deferred compensation program for all substitute employees. The FICA Alternative Plan is a 457(B) retirement savings plan provided for substitutes who do not qualify to participate in TRS.