WATCH D.O.G.S. is a national innovative program focusing on the prevention of violence in our children’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose: (1) to provide an unobtrusive presence in schools, and (2) to be a positive and active role-model for children at their school.
WATCH D.O.G.S. Across America ® is a non-profit organization which began in 1998 by Jim Moore, immediately after the Jonesboro, Arkansas, middle school shooting tragedy. WATCH D.O.G.S. operates for the objective as stated in its motto: “To turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers.”
• Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of a father or father-figure enhances a sense of security at the building for students and staff and helps create an environment conducive to learning. • Children gain a positive male role model. Many children do not have a father-figure present in their home and these children benefit when a positive male role model is present.
• Fathers get a glimpse of their child’s everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing. As a result, they can learn to relate better to their child and hopefully connect with them.
• Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their child’s life in three critical areas including: academic performance, self- esteem, social behavior.
Who are WatchDOGS (Dads Of Great Students)?
Watch D.O.G.S. are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. Their mere presence offers additional security at the school during the day! On the day of their participation, the participants are given a brief review of their involvement and they wear an official WATCH D.O.G.S. vest and lanyard identifying them as Watch D.O.G.S.
If you are interested in volunteering for our Watch D.O.G.S. program, please follow these steps:
- Register by clicking on the appropriate campus below:
- Check your email for scheduling link.
- Complete and return a background check to the campus counselor.